A north Powys livestock farm sited on what is believed to have been a 14th century Cistercian nunnery has been put up for sale with 104 acres of land and the opportunity to acquire 57 acres of a nearby hill.
Tyn-y-Llan at Cefn Coch, near Welshpool, is believed to have been the location of a small nunnery dating back to at least 1334 where a small number of nuns were based.
The current farmhouse, also known as Church House, was recorded in the 17th century and today it is a noted livestock holding with a range of traditional and modern agricultural buildings.
“Large farms such as Tyn-y-Llan don’t come on to the market in this area that often and so this is a fantastic opportunity to acquire what is a conveniently sized and noted livestock holding,” said Matthew Williams of Mid Wales and Shropshire estate agents Morris, Marshall and Poole.
“There is also a second lot providing an opportunity to acquire just over 57 acres of upland grazing known as Tyn-y-Llan Hill, currently forming part of the overall farm.”
The nunnery was believed to have been dissolved in 1536. “In 1377 there were only an abbess and four nuns and a chaplain,” states a record from the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust.
Today, the four-bedroom farm has been operated as a significant livestock business utilising the predominantly south facing land.
The farmhouse is close to the Church of Llanllugan and overlooks its own land, the River Rhiew and open Montgomeryshire countryside.
The traditional farm buildings at the farm could be converted for other use subject to planning permission.
It’s on the market for £950,000. Tyn-y-Llan hill is offered as a separate lot at £160,000 and had additional income opportunities based on renewable energy use.
Details about the farm can be found at www.morrismarshall.co.uk, emailing email@example.com or calling 01686 626160.